Self Employed Builders Or Tradesperson There is So Much To Think About

I have been self-employed as a painter and decorator for over 20 years and along with having to actually do all the work yourself you have to make sure you have everything else in place as well, and yes it would be so easy to do the job get paid and that’s that and move on to the next job, but anybody that is self-employed will know that’s just the beginning. Here is a list of absolute necessities that you need to keep your business running smoothly and efficiently.

Keeping your books up to date

It is vital that all your receipts and money received from the work you have done is correctly logged either manually or on a spreadsheet, and this should be done on a weekly basis so nothing is forgotten and when then when it comes to tax return day everything is there right in front of you making it easy to complete on time so as not to incur any penalties.


One of the most important parts of any business, especially one in the building trade is insurance and making sure you have the right insurance in place that will cover you in the event of any circumstance occurring.

There is obviously a lot of choice out there when it comes to insurance for builders or tradespersons so what is the best choice? One particular insurance cover that is an absolute must especially for builders is a Contractors All Risk Insurance. So what is it?

Contractors all risk insurance is considered a non standard insurance policy but it guards you against anything you do on site. What brings it all together is that there could be damage claims for a job that has been incorrectly constructed or a subcontractor could claim for being injured whilst working, these two single risks are brought together under the umbrella of one policy. The risks most commonly covered include fire, flooding, water damage and construction faults so in essence if there are any unforeseen events that happen, all risk insurance will the cover the costs of building work to start again.

Contractors all risk insurance covers you for a wide range of things such as contract works, own plant, tools and equipment, employees tools, hired property as well as temporary buildings and fittings, but also be aware that it won’t cover you for such things as unsatisfactory workmanship, liquidated damages, negligence and professional indemnity, to name a few.

If you’re looking for an insurance policy of the type such as contractors all risk insurance, it’s vital that you speak to somebody that has the experience and know how to talk you through it in an expert manner such as a company like Rigby Financial.

Making Sure You Have Enough Work For the future

When you are a self-employed builder or tradesperson like myself one of the most difficult parts is making sure you have the next job lined up. Of course the best way to achieve that is to do a good and competent job and hopefully you will be recommended on to the next job. Of course a small amount of advertising won’t hurt, but word of mouth is still the best advert in the world and of course it’s free.

There are many other things that go into running a business and this is just a small selection, but I have highlighted three things that are vital to make your business successful.

I would love to hear your comments below if you run your own business.

This is a paid collaborative post.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.